Does the City issue overweight permits?

No, St. Michael does not issue overweight permits in accordance with direction given to the City by our Weight Enforcement Officers with the Wright County Sheriff's Department.

Does the City replace sod, sprinkler systems or landscaping damaged by snowplowing?

The City will come out and repair boulevard turf disturbed by snow plows.  This work is normally scheduled in the spring.  Any landscaping or sprinkler systems place in the City's right-of-way are placed there at the homeowners risk.

How do I report traffic issues?

City Streets (St. Michael) County Roads (Wright) Highway 241 (MN DOT)

Nick Preisler


Sara Buermann

Signals & Lighting: Robin DaLage

Traffic Engineer: Ken Hanson


How do I get a traffic sign installed?

The City of St. Michael annually receives several traffic sign requests from residents.  The majority of these sign requests relate to concerns for speeding and/or other careless driving behaviors.  State Statute regulates the placement of traffic signs.  The City primarily places only regulated and enforceable signage, such as stop sign and speed limit signs and does not place unenforceable and unregulated signs, such as "Children at Play" signs.
Speed limits are also controlled by the State of Minnesota.  For more information regarding speed limits visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation's website at  Stop signs are only installed if they can meet certain warrants, such as high volume cross traffic.  Residents may request the City to analyze a particular traffic concern to find out if it warrants a traffic sign.  Education through the City's speed trailer and enforcement through the Wright County Sheriff's Department are key tools the City uses to deal with traffic issues and concerns.

How do I report a street light outage?

Residents should call the appropriate electric company for the neighborhood:  Xcel Energy at 1-800-960-6235 or enter the information online at Xcel Engery.  Street light outages on Highway 241, in downtown St. Michael or in Town Center (Edgewood, Larabee & Town Center Drive) should be reported to 763-497-2041.

How do I report broken playground equipment?

If you see a piece of broken or vandalized playground equipment at a City Park, please the the Park Supervisor, Karl Kessler at (763) 497-2041 (107).

How do I report street issues?

City Streets County Roads Highway 241
Public Works
Ed Haller 

Wright County Highway Department Sara Buermann


St. Cloud
Mn DOT Maintenance

How do I request the speed trailer to be placed on my street?

The City extensively uses a speed trailer to help educate and analyze neighborhood street where speeding is a concern.  Contact Steve Bot at (763) 497-2041, Extension 122 or if interested in having the speed trailer on your street.  Due to the traffic calming design of neighborhoods (curves, cul-de-sacs, etc.) and State Statute require a 30 mph speed limit on urban residential streets, neighborhood traffic often is perceived to be going faster than the actual speed limit.  Many believe 30 mph is too fast to be traveling on residential streets, but the City is limited to the 30 mph speed limit by the State.  Please click on this link for more information regarding speed limits.

What are weight restrictions or load limits?

Weight restrictions are load limits placed and posted on the road.  Weight restrictions are typically 5 tons per axle on city streets during the spring.  As the frost in the subgrade of the road melts, moisture is introduced below the road.  This additional moisture weakens the subgrade of the roadway, which in turn weakens the road to the point of being unable to handle a heavy load without causing serious damage and thus shortening the life of the road.  the City follows State and County recommendations on when weight restrictions are usually posted from early March to the middle of May, or from the time the snow starts melting until after the subgrade has had a chance to dry out.

What drainage issues does the City take care of and what drainage issues are the resident's responsibility?

Drainage problems involving public streets, storm water inlets, storm sewers, or main drainage ditches should be reported to the Engineering Department at (763) 497-2041.  If the drainage problem is on private property the City may give assistance and advice to the property owner on how it could be corrected.  It is the homeowners responsibility to make the any correction that may be necessary.

What is an easement?

A drainage and utility easement is a dedicated area within your lot that can be utilized by the City and private utility companies to locate utility lines.  This area also handles storm water runoff from your and neighbors' lots.  Some drainage and utility easements are also wetland buffers established to protect wetlands.  Alteration of theses areas is prohibited.

What is the right-of-way?

Right-of-way (ROW) is land which is owned by the City to provide a location for the construction of streets and utilities.  Typically the width of public ROW is 50 feet, 60 feet, or 66 feet, although other width may occur.  ROW is always wider than the street.  For example, if  a 50 foot ROW has a 26 foot wide street, there would be an area of 12 feet (in width) behind the curb on both sides of the street, which is owned by the City, but maintained by the abutting property owner.

When do I need a grading permit?

A grading permit, also called an excavating/filling permit, is required when 50 cubic yards of material is removed or deposited on your property.  Anyone completing this type of work should call the City, even if a permit is not required.  Drainage of a property cannot be altered to negatively impact neighboring property (i.e. blocking the drainage).  For more detailed permit requirements see Section 155.086 of the City's Zoning Ordinance.

When will my street get plowed?

St. Michael plows approximately over 110 miles of City roadway and cul-de-sacs using various types of equipment.  Plowing begins when snow or slippery conditions make driving difficult.  Arterial and collector streets are plowed on a priority basis followed by residential streets.  Cul-de-sacs are plowed curb to curb using front end loads after residential streets are cleared.

Who should I call if there is a watermain break?

If you experience a watermain break or sewer back-up, please call the St. Michael Sewer and Water Department (763) 497-3611.  After hours please call the emergency pager at (612) 880-1162.

Who should I call to locate underground utilities?

Call Gopher State One Call for locating underground utilities for contractors and homeowners planning to dig, trench or bore underground.  Always call 48 hours before you plan to dig and remember, this service will not cost you anything and may save your life.  Gopher State One Call number is (651) 454-0002 or 1-800-252-1166.

Why does the City crackseal?

The intrusion of water into the pavement and subsurface through cracks is leading cause of pavement deterioration, including potholes.  Cracksealing is a cost effective method to ensure that water doesn't get into the pavement and its subsurface, thus extending the life of the pavement.  Cracksealing is especially critical in Minnesota where extreme freeze/thaw cycles amplify the intrusion of water into our pavements which accelerates the pavement deterioration primarily through pothole formation.

Why doesn't the City install speed bumps on residential streets?

Due primarily to maintenance, noise and speeding concerns the City does not install speed bumps on public streets.