City Code

American Legal Publishing hosts the City's entire code. Look for Title XV: Click here to view the City's Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances.

Have you ever wondered, "Hey, can they do that in my neighborhood?"  The code for the City of St. Michael includes sections that cover residential property maintenance, nuisances, signage, and zoning.  Listed below are some of the most frequently asked questions.  If you have further questions please call the City of St. Michael at 763-497-2041.

Can I park an RV/boat/trailer on my property?

Section 155.039 (Exterior Storage) allows two recreational vehicles or pieces of equipment such as, snowmobiles, boats, or ATV’s may be stored outdoors on the property.  These items may be stored in the driveway which leads directly into the garage, in the rear yard of the property or one open surfaced space located along side the garage (A minimum 5-foot green space is required between the open surfaced space and the side property line).  When the equipment is on a trailer, the trailer and equipment shall be considered as one. 

What are the regulations for residential driveways?

Driveways must be located a minimum of 5 feet from a side property line and shall not exceed 30 feet within the street right-of-way, with the exception of driveway entrances located on cul-de-sac lots, which cannot exceed 25 feet in width.  Driveway widths for townhomes shall not be wider than the garage, up to a maximum of 30 feet in width within the street right-of-way.  Residential properties are limited to one curb cut .  All driveway areas must be surfaced with brick, concrete, or bituminous surface from the public road to the garage.  Any additional parking areas permitted for off-street parking shall be surfaced with brick, concrete, bituminous or rock material.  Permits are not required required for a driveway.

My neighbor has an old car that does not run and is an eyesore. Can he keep it forever?

City Ordinance 91.18 (U)(4) requires that no person shall be allowed to accumulate or store any motor vehicles that are not currently licensed, generally not driven, or being used for parts in the open on their property.  These types of vehicles may be kept within an enclosed building.
My neighbor parks cars in the front yard. Is this allowed?
City Ordinance 155.050 pertains to parking on all residential lots.  Parking is prohibited in any portion of the front yard, except designated driveways leading directly into a garage or one open, surfaced space located on the side of a driveway, away from principle use.  The extra space must be surface with concrete, bituminous, or crushed rock material.

My neighbor leaves their vehicle parked on the street for a week at a time. Is this permitted?

City Ordinance 71.04 states that no vehicle should be stopped, parked or left standing upon any public street for a continuous period in excess of forty-eight (48) hours.  Any vehicle that is moved less than one block in a forty-eight (48) hour period is deemed to have remained stationary.  It is unlawful for any person to remove any mark or sign placed upon the vehicle by a police officer for the purpose of measuring the length of time such vehicle has been parked.
My neighbor stores all kinds of stuff outside that makes it look messy. Is this a code violation?
City Ordinance 155.039 requires all materials & equipment to be stored within a building or fully screened rear yards so it is not visible from adjoining properties.  Items such as, clotheslines, recreational equipment and vehicles, construction and landscaping materials that are currently being used, firewood and off-street parking of passenger vehicles and trucks (not over 12,000 lbs) are exempt. However, this does not allow you to screen items that are considered to be a nuisance.

What are the regulations regarding planting on street corners?

City Ordinance 155.032 requires that no structure or planting in excess of 30 inches above the street center line grade shall be permitted on corner lots within a triangular area.  This is a triangle measured 30 feet back along each street from the corner intersection of the front and side lot lines.  The purpose of this regulation is to improve visibility at intersections. 

What are the City's regulations regarding lawns, grass and weeds?

City Ordinance 155.031 (D)(3)(a) states that single family residential lots are not required to sod, but must establish turf within 120 days of the City issuing a Certificate of Occupancy (excluding time between October 1 and May 1) or within 15 months of the issuance of the building permit, whichever comes first.  All silt fence or hay bale erosion controls must be maintained until turf is established. 
City Code Sections 91.35 - 91.44 (Landscaping and Vegeation Maintenance) can be found in The City enforces the state noxious weed code and limits the height of weeds and grasses to a maximum of eight (8) inches for any property with a structure, and 12 inches for all other properties.  If a violation exists, a certified notice is sent to the recorded property owner and if the weeds or grasses are not cut after 7 days, the City of St. Michael may cut the vegetation at the owner’s expense.  Any subsequent violation in the same calendar year is not subject to the 7 day waiting period and will be cut 48 hours after a Destruction Order is posted on the property.

Can my neighbors keep their garbage can or recycling container in their driveway?

City Ordinance 91.18 (U)(10) requires that all trash/garbage/recycling containers must be screened so that they are not visible from any public street or sidewalk.  Trash/garbage/recycling containers can be placed at the curbside the evening before or during a garbage pick-up day.  Dumpsters may be permitted on a temporary basis during the construction or alteration of any property.
Are there restricted hours for construction and mainenance activities?
City Ordinance 91.18 (AE) prohibits any kind of construction or maintenance activities which disturb the peace between the hours of sunset and 7:00 a.m. This excludes emergency construction activities such as, street and other public works construction, utility repairs, flood prevention, and snow removal.

Does the City of St. Michael have a curfew for juveniles?

City Ordinance 130.01 states any minor under the age of 16 must be home between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. and minors ages 16 & 17 must be home between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.  There are exceptions to the ordinance, such as youth returning home from work or a school activity, running an errand for a parent, or in an emergency situation.  The ordinance is focused at youths congregating after hours in public places such as businesses and parks.

What are the rules regarding snowmobiles and recreational motor vehicles?

Chapter 72 of the City Ordinance was amended in 2022, view the amended ordinance here