Chapter 90 (Animals) of the City Code provides regulations for animals kept within the City of St. Michael.  Listed below are some frequently asked animal code questions.  If you have further questions please call City Hall at (763) 497-2041

Do dogs have to be kept on a leash?

Dogs are not allowed to roam freely (at-large) throughout the City.  All dogs must be confined to inside your property lines.  Dogs on public property must be on a leash (not exceeding 6 ft) and accompanied by a responsible person OR at heel beside a competent person who has custody of the dog and the dog is obedient to their commands.  Dogs found running at-large will be impounded.

Do my dogs and cats have to be licensed?

Effective in 2022, the City of St. Michael will no longer require a City dog license.  Although dog licenses are no longer required, pet owners must still:

  • Have proof of rabies vaccination for all cats and dogs over the age of six months old.
  • Provide dogs and cats with some type of identification. Allowed identification includes microchips, tags or collars with contact information and phone number(s) inscribed on it. 
  • Apply for a Residential Kennel license if they have more than two dogs. (A pet owner may have a total of four dogs over the age of six months). A Residential Kennel License is $15.00 for a two-year term. 
  • Adhere to all City Code requirements relating to Animal Control

How many dogs am I allowed to have?

Any property that has more than two (2) dogs, over six months of age, must have a residential kennel license.  In 2003, the City adopted an ordinance which limits the total number of dogs to no more than four (4) per property.  However, any resident who owned more than four (4) dogs prior to this ordinance shall be permitted to keep those animals provided they are licensed and registered under a kennel license with the city.  The cost for a residential kennel license is $15.00 and the kennel license must be renewed every two years.

Is there an ordinance against barking?

Dog owners in the City of St. Michael must prevent their dogs from becoming a nuisance by habitually barking or crying.  Animal Ordinance 90.10 defines habitual barking as barking that occurs for repeated intervals of at least five minutes with less than one minute of interruption. The barking must be audible off the owner's or caretaker's premises.

Where do I call if I want to file a complaint?

You can contact City Hall at (763) 497-2041, during regular business hours to report an animal complaint.  After receiving the complaint the city will mail out a notification to the animal owner regarding the violation.  If it is an emergency situation that requires immediate attention and City Hall is closed, please contact the Wright County Sheriff's Department at 763-682-7600 for assistance.

Who is responsible for cleaning up animal waste?

It is unlawful for any person who owns or has custody of a dog or cat to cause or permit such animal to defecate on any private property without the consent of the property owner.  If this occurs on any public property such person must immediately remove the excrement and place it in a property receptacle.